A Superyacht Stewardess Course in Cape Town will prepare you to work as a stewardess on a superyacht. Stewardesses are mainly responsible for high-end hospitality services and interior maintenance in terms of cleanliness and tidiness. In this article, we will talk about the Superyacht Stewardess Course in Cape Town.
Who is a Stewardess on a Superyacht?
Just like deckhand, stewardess is an equally important aspect of a Superyacht’s crew; perhaps more important than deckhand in some aspects. When we talk about Stewardesses, it is all about hospitality on a superyacht. Stewardesses are meticulous in mannerisms and appearance, professional in providing great hospitality services, and quick-witted in their work. If the hospitality industry is your dream, being a stewardess can be very fulfilling.
How to be a Superyacht Stewardess in Cape Town?
To be a professional stewardess on a superyacht, there are two major steps.
a. Fulfilling the Prerequisites to Becoming a Stewardess
Before you take a Superyacht Stewardess Course in Cape Town, you have to make sure of the following:
- You hold the STCW Completion certificate.
- All qualified superyacht crew have at least an RYA Powerboat Level 2 certificate.
- The ENG1 Medical certificate of fitness proving that you are fit to work on a superyacht.
- The MCA Food and Hygiene Level 2 Certification.
b. Taking a Superyacht Stewardess Course in Cape Town
Once you have all the required qualifications, you can join a superyacht stewardess course in Cape Town with a reputed marine institution. You do not require any experience to enrol on the course. However, if you have experience working on a boat or in the hospitality industry (hotels, motels etc.), it will be beneficial for you. In fact, it will enhance your resume compared to other freshers who have no similar experiences. Nonetheless, it does not mean you would not get a job as a fresher. It will be just a little bit difficult, is all.
In a Stewardess Course, sometimes known as Superyacht Interior Training, you learn the following things.
- Tabel Service. The responsibility of arranging the table and serving meals and drinks professionally and elegantly.
- Wine and Beverage Knowledge. As your guests come from a high-class background, having meticulous knowledge of wine and beverages comes in handy.
- Housekeeping. As mentioned previously, housekeeping is one of the core responsibilities of a stewardess on a yacht. This includes painting guest cabins, common areas, and crew interiors.
- Guest Interaction. As a stewardess, you are directly responsible for dealing with guests. In the course, you will learn about handling guests effectively, respectfully, and elegantly.
- Teamwork. As being a stewardess is not a lone-wolf sort of responsibility, you will have to understand how teamwork happens on a superyacht.
- Inventory. As a stewardess, you may have to assist other crew with inventory management of provisions. This includes restocking supplies or budgeting for supplies as well.
With these qualifications, you may consider applying for stewardess positions on superyachts around the world.
What should I know about being a Stewardess on a Superyacht?
If you are enthusiastic about working in the hospitality scene, the Superyacht job can be very fulfilling. It gives the satisfaction of providing excellent five-star services to the guests and being rewarded with their smiles and fulfilment. If you are a hardworking person, quick-witted with decision-making, and humble, this career will be a fruitful one. Besides that, the base salary + tip earnings can make you earn up to 3000-5000 EU per month.
However, there are also a few downsides to this job. You will be away from your family and friends for a long time. There is almost little to no space for private time on a superyacht as you will be sharing your space with another crew member, and will always have to be ready on-duty any given time. Besides that, it can get a bit difficult to get used to the sea.
If the upsides of this job weigh heavier than the downsides, then this career option could certainly be your calling. Make sure you are polite, presentable, and up-front with your behaviour, and you should do good in your interview (a.k.a. the first impression!).
With a Superyacht Stewardess Course in Cape Town, you will be taking one step closer towards your dream of being a stewardess on a superyacht. It is a meticulous job with excellent opportunities and a hefty sum of pay. If you wish to know more about the course, please feel free to connect with us. Sail and Power SA is available to provide assistance to you in Cape Town.