Getting a commercial endorsement on your RYA Advanced Powerboat qualification in South Africa is an achievement; especially if you are planning to work on commercial vessels. As an endorsement is acknowledgement that you are a highly-skilled and a professional skipper/sailor, you can further advance in your career.

Let’s get to know more about these endorsements.

RYA Advanced Powerboat Course in South Africa

Before we get to the actual point, let’s get to know the RYA Advanced Powerboat course in brief. If you wish to refine your powerboat skills and learn advanced techniques after the PB2 course, you should complete this course. You have two options here; you may choose to complete the RYA Advanced Powerboat course or you can go straight for the exam if you feel confident in your abilities.

Let’s understand the prerequisites:

  1. Must hold a VHF Radio certificate or Short Range radio certificate.
  2. 800 miles covered on the sea. 400 miles if you hold an RYA Advanced Powerboat completion certificate.
  3. A valid first-aid certificate.
  4. Able to procure a boat or own a boat that is capable of a minimum of 12 knots, is well-equipped and in seaworthy conditions. (This is your responsibility)
  5. Two whole days logged as a skipper.
  6. 12 hours of night skipping required.

We highly recommend taking the RYA Advanced Powerboat course beforehand as it significantly cuts down the total miles required. Also, note that you can no longer get an endorsement on your RYA advanced powerboat completion certificate unless it was issued before January 1, 2005.

Once you clear the exam successfully, you will receive the RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence, on which you are eligible to receive an endorsement.


The Standard Commercial Endorsement for the RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence

As mentioned earlier, skippers seek the endorsement to work and improve their marine career professionally. RYA certificates of competence are not only recognized in the UK but all over the world. That makes these certificates and endorsements priceless as it opens international doors for you.

How do I qualify?

To get an endorsement on your RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence, you need to:

  1. Have a valid ML5 or ENG1 medical certificate. We will explain more on this below.
  2. Professional Practices and Responsibility certificate. Since 2012, this course has been made mandatory to get an endorsement.
  3. STCW Personal Survival/Sea Survival certificate. This is a module in the STCW course. In fact, we highly recommend taking the complete STCW course as it is a requirement to work on commercial vessels. Check out: STCW Certificate in South Africa | Do I need one?
  4. VHF Radio certificate or GMDSS equivalent radio operator certificate.
  5. A passport-sized photo with your name on the backside.
  6. Fees.

Getting an ENG1 Medical Certificate in South Africa.

ENG1 medical certificate states your fitness level for working on a commercial vessel. You can only receive this certificate from an MCA-approved doctor. For a list of MCA approved doctors in South Africa, please click here.

If your medical fitness has a restriction, you may not be able to receive or hold a commercial endorsement. RYA advises all marine career seekers to undergo a medical or sight test, which includes testing of colour and visual acuity. RYA recommends you get this certificate before you enrol on any kind of commercial training.

Professional Practices and Responsibilities Course.

This is a mandatory course and a requirement to apply for a commercial endorsement since April 2012. This course aims to make you competent in terms of your professionalism and responsibilities, as the title suggests.

You can easily take this course online at your own convenience. Referring to the RYA’s website for the PPR course, your certificate will be valid only for your first commercial endorsement application or your next endorsement renewal. For more information, please refer to their PDF document.


Summing up!

Getting a commercial endorsement in your powerboating career is a huge step for you to work commercially. You will be able to seek greater opportunities, given you have the right combinations of qualifications.

To get an endorsement on your RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence in South Africa, you mainly need:

  1. VHF Radio operator certificate or GMDSS equivalent certificate,
  2. STCW Certificate,
  3. PPR Certificate (for which you can do an online course),
  4. ENG1 or ML5 medical certificate by an MCA approved doctor.

If you complete the requirements, you are eligible to apply for the commercial endorsement on your RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence. For further queries, contact us through our website and we will be happy to answer any queries!