Being a Deckhand on a Superyacht not only gives you an opportunity to earn a hefty salary, but also tons of adventures and unforgettable memories. If you are someone who loves adventures and sea voyages, being a deckhand can be THE perfect career for you. Let’s find out how you can become a Deckhand in Cape Town today!
What is a Deckhand?
A deckhand is an integral part of the superyacht crew. Without a deckhand, the Superyacht just won’t function. A deckhand’s salary usually ranges between EUR 2500-3500 and is often paid in euros. Yes, the salary is indeed lucrative, however, the job is also very demanding. Your role as a deckhand will differ from yacht to yacht. It mainly depends on the size of the yacht, the size of the crew, whether the yacht is private or charter, and other factors. Mainly, as a deckhand, your duties will call you to keep the exterior of the superyacht and its toys clean and well-maintained. Furthermore, you may also perform additional duties such as keeping a lookout on the bridge, driving tenders or jet-skis for guests, and helping with waterspors. Your duties will be mentioned in the contract that you sign before beginning your voyage.
So, how do I become a deckhand in Cape Town?
To become a deckhand in Cape Town, you do not necessarily have to have prior deckhand experience. However, you must complete a few prerequisites. To work on a deckhand, you will require:
- ENG1 Medical Certificate. — If an MCA-approved doctor considers your health to be in good condition after a basic medical examination, you will get the certificate. This certificate is valid for up to 2 years. A list of MCA Approved Doctors overseas (outside the UK) can be found here.
- Basic STCW Course. — This course is compulsory if you wish to work on a Superyacht. It is a six-day safety course that consists of sea survival, first-aid, fire fighting, personal safety and social responsibilities, and proficiency in security awareness.
- RYA Powerboat Level 2. — Another highly demanded course in the Superyacht industry. It’s not uncommon for a deckhand to drive a tender for various purposes. For such, you will require this certificate.
- RYA Personal Watercraft Proficiency. — A deckhand’s task may also include entertaining the guests with the PwC. For such, you must have to have this certificate.
- SRC/VHF Radio Course. — A complimentary course that will sure come in handy and will look good on your resume.
…And lastly, the Deckhand Course itself!
That’s right! A deckhand course will enhance your career. It will enable you to work on a superyacht proficiently. Being a reliable, independent candidate who knows their basic way around a superyacht will make you a favourable candidate for employers. In the Deckhand Course, in addition to the courses mentioned above, you will learn the following:
- Yacht terminology, communications, and signals
- Guest-related etiquette
- Wash-down procedures
- Superyacht exterior maintenance procedure
- Superyacht exterior repairing
- Teak maintenance
- Woodwork and varnishing
- Rope knots, ropeworks, and line handling
- Navigational watch
- Using the anchor
Remember, all the superyacht employers usually look into how you are with people. Are you a well-mannered person that’s good with hospitality aspects? How motivated are you for the job? Are you willing to work long hours? It is your determination to carry out the necessary tasks on a superyacht that will actually land you the job. Skills come secondary. So make sure you brush up on your social skills and take your time to understand whether you have what it takes. Because trust us when we say it: This job is very demanding. Jared Watney on Youtube has made a fantastic video montage about this matter.
So, how can I enrol on the Deckhand Course in Cape Town?
This is the simple part, Sail and Power SA has got you covered on this. Sail and Power SA has over 30 years of experience in this industry; and we offer high-quality Deckhand Career courses in Cape Town, South Africa. We will assist you from A-Z: from learning the ropes to getting your first Deckhand job. We have divided this course into three different categories ranging from Minimum to Advanced; minimum being the most basic and advanced being the most extensive Deckhand Course. If you have any questions, simply contact us today and we will gladly help you out!